The policy applies to all those involved with the Solway Sinfonia in whatever capacity. They all have a responsibility to implement this policy by behaving in a non-discriminatory way.
The committee will be responsible for resolving any issues arising in the event of a breach of this policy.
In addition to a general ethos of awareness and avoidance of potential discrimination, we will undertake to adopt the following policies:
- to endeavour to select concert and rehearsal venues that are more accessible to those with disabilities;
- to provide our publicity material in formats appropriate to various needs when requested;
- to offer concessionary rates to financially disadvantaged groups in society;
- to encourage broad representation from different groups on the committee;
- to publicise the existence of this policy to all involved with the Solway Sinfonia;
- to adhere to all legislation relevant to potential discrimination including The Sex Discrimination Act (1975;1986), The Race Relations Act (1976), and The Disability Discrimination Act (1995);
- to monitor the implementation of this policy at regular intervals;
- to review our equal opportunities policy at regular intervals.
Responsibility for the implementation of the following measures lies with all members of the committee:
- discuss and publicise the Equal Opportunities Policy at the Annual General Meeting;
- consider how representative the membership of our committee is;
- consider further how we can improve our recruitment of young musicians and those from poorly represented groups in society;
- endeavour to ensure that all venues for concerts and rehearsals comply with the Disability Discrimination Act (1995);
- ensure that availability of disabled access is publicised for all events;
- respond promptly to any request for publicity material in various formats;
- offer concessionary rates for tickets to financially disadvantaged groups in society;
- review the implementation of this Action Plan after six months;
- review the Equal Opportunities Policy at three yearly intervals.